Today was a pretty amazing day for me. My goal for Tree Adventures was to finally get through one whole course. I have been there before but was always too scared of heights to complete anything – I had only really made it up one of the ladders and then had to get down again in the past.
This time though, I was determined to do better. I started on course 3, the one where they put that really weird bridge that has sort of zig zag blocks of wood that block your way. To get past those I was chanting “Zig!” for one side and “Zag!” for the others. There was also a section where a log was rocking backwards and forward – that was a bit hairy. But I made it through all those sections and thought everything would be OK until I came to the flying fox. It looked very long, very fast and very scary. I didn’t think I was going to do it but when other kids came past and gave me heaps of encouragement I decided to go for it.
What can I say about that first flying fox ride? When I jumped off I felt the ground disappear beneath my feet and with a loud whizzing sound I accelerated towards the finish. I couldn’t help but let out a “whoop!” because it felt so excellent… I mean the ride itself was excellent but the feeling of overcoming my fear was superb. I did four other courses after that and loved the flying fox on all of them. My favourite was course six. Mr H has put up a Poll to find out the all time favourite course – why not take part yourself.
By the way, hope you like the pic. That's me at the back right behind Yohan - those guys at Tree Adventures even managed to get me an invisible harness... how about that?

ReplyDeleteGo for it Fred. You really worked hard to conquer your fears yesterday and used some great strategies to help you. I'm sure you are looking forward to the flying foxes today too. Do you think you made it this time because of the encouragement from the awesome intermediates? I loved hearing all the support that they were giving people. I am just so proud of them!
Well done Fred, its cool to hear that they gave an invisible harness! :-)
ReplyDelete