My first name was very popular around the time I was born - there were always loads of Catherines in my class at school. Maybe there was someone famous who inspired the popularity of the name - I can think of Catherine Deneuve and Katherine Hepburn who were both movie stars in the 1960s.
My second name (Ducarel) comes from my father's family. It is a very old French name (funnily enough). My great uncle also had this second name. We have many family heirlooms from this side of the family. I have passed on this name to one of my daughters, she probably dislikes it as much as I used to. I always wished I had a "normal" second name, like Jane or Elizabeth which were also popular at the time.
I was baptised as an Anglican in the village church in England at the age of about 3 months. Family members came and there was a big lunch to celebrate. I was the first grandchild on my mother's side, so I was very important! I wore a white gown made of lace.
It's a interesting fact that the name, "Catherine" was a popular name that time. :)
ReplyDelete